As an online marketing expert, conducting a client needs analysis allows you to determine a client’s current online marketing involvement, learn about their company/organization landscape, and know who the decision makers are, and uncover company pain points.
There are few questions to ask a client which help you to understand the environment and design the best online marketing strategy include:
- Are you currently doing any marketing for your business?
- What are your marketing goals?
- What are your best-selling products or services?
- Where else are you running ads online? Offline?
- Do you evaluate the return on your marketing investment?
- Do you have a website?
- Who handles marketing strategy for your business?
- How do you determine your marketing budget?
- Do you have a seasonal business?
- Do you have brick-and-mortar stores?
- Who are your competitors?
- What’s your target audience?
Before speaking with a client about their online marketing needs, you’ll want to do the following:
- Review their website: Have a basic understanding of the advertiser’s business. What is their flagship product or service?
- Do some research: Are there articles about the business online? Are they already doing online marketing? Are they in the organic search results? How competitive is the ad space?
- Learn to speak their language: What vertical are they in? What is their sales cycle? Are there unfamiliar terms? Is there seasonality? What challenges might they face?
- Begin to plan: How might you build an account for this advertiser? What products or services would you include in an initial marketing strategy? What products or services might you recommend for expansion?
You can also help clients understand the possibilities in accurately addressing marketing needs – including marketing needs that they may not be aware of. Here are a few questions designed to build awareness of their online campaign needs:
- Are you concerned that you’re spending too much / not spending enough on marketing?
- Are you worried that your current media plan isn’t as efficient as it could be?
- Are you concerned you may not know how to best target your advertising to your audience?
- Are you satisfied with the level of traffic, conversions etc., that you’re seeing?
Now, based on data you have gathered, you can design the best online marketing and advertising campaign which can cover all needs include their branding and online repetition, direct selling and conversion increase, maximum visibility and even higher ranking.